Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Trapped In a Brandy Snifter

Long before the digital revolution (Adobe Photoshop, etc.), wedding photography could be quite a bizarre and repellant thing. As you can see here:

I've been attracted to many vulgar things throughout my life and I dreamed of the day that I too could be immortalized in a Brandy Snifter. In 1996 the very exciting opportunity arose when our run down little Department Store brought in a professional photographer. My friend Jill was always up for an adventure so we decided to dress up as "Aliens". Our costumes were intentionally shoddy - leftover Halloween make up and antennas made from green pipe cleaners. Unfortunately I forgot to paint our hands so it's obvious in the "portrait" that I doctored it with extra green tinting. The really funny part was the portrait photographer didn't even crack a smile as we posed (though we were successful in scaring a few children).

We were so excited that we went back home and took more polaroids. We figured that aliens would either be friendly or pissed off so that's how we method acted our parts. I'm not sure why the cigarettes were included except for the fact they always made handy props.

From 1995 to 1999 I was having an agonizing creative block (which still plagues me). So I spent all my energy documenting parties and friends and forcing people to dress up, put on make up and do a variety of tableaux for my amusement. It was actually a lot of fun (for me) and I think my friends got used to performing like circus dogs. My favorite model was always Jill who was like the ultimate punk barbie doll. Every series of pictures had a thematic background, was laminated and put into a decorative binder. So I guess I was "scrapbooking" before I knew what "scrapbooking" was. I'm still amazed and addicted to laminating (because it's SO magical and almost indestructible). I think those books will last long after I'm dead. What a weird time capsule to come across - people will think "What the hell was wrong with this group of strangers"? Ha, ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know, there is something about things that are "plasticized" that are so cool. Why do we love that stuff so much?
--Jellie Jen