Monday, April 9, 2007

Farewell Easter 2007!

Good-bye sparkly easter eggs, plastic carrots and chubby haunched bunnies. We completely forgot to have an Easter egg hunt this year (or eat anything more traditional than rigatoni with pesto, pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes). Come to think of it, I don't think Brad and I have ever had an Easter hunt. It may be because he really hates chocolate - but that doesn't mean I can't hide hunks of steak, cigarettes and banjo strings around the house in 2008. He could hide new shoes and a good computer scanner for me.

Easter reminds me of my Aunt Judy and her practical jokes. Back then, (in the 70's) she was an International "Stewardess" and the most gorgeous and glamorous person I have ever seen. When I was 8 or 9 she took me to a Toronto park and swore that the Easter Bunny lived down a muddy ravine. We fell down the ravine with mud and water flooding all over us and our clothes. We could only get back up with my Grandma's hooked umbrella which we broke to bits. Grandma was OK with us breaking the umbrella - she was just steamed that our muddy clothes besmirched her immaculate kitchen. But that was NOTHING compared to the time when Judy and I had a food fight in Grandma's kitchen. I remember Judy breaking eggs on my head then sprinkling bacon bits all over me. Grandma was so mad that Judy ran to her own apartment and left me there. She knew Grandma was so nice she wouldn't take it out on me. Judy was my idol for many reasons but one of the most vivid examples of her utter cool was that she had a WHOLE SHOE BOX FULL of candy on the top of her closet shelf. Juicy Fruit gum and everything! When her kids were young I sent them a great big tin box filled with the most special candy I could find and told them the story of Judy's magical shoebox.

No comments: