Saturday, July 7, 2007

Superdickery - A VERY Funny Website

I just remembered coming across the site Superdickery while doing some random google search. A guy named Mike has been running the site for over a year. He posts real, unaltered comic book covers and panels. I thought it was a great site - not only for the humor and the crazy comic covers but for the bizarre feeling of nostalgia. I hope you can get a chance to look around Superdickery - it's a lot of fun.

(I've included a lot of links in this post. I highly recommend you follow the links because there are so many talented artists you can learn more about at the touch of your fingertips).

My uncle gave me his old super hero collection when I was 12. I remember reading the stack and getting pretty disturbed - many issues were surprisingly trippy and scary. When I was young I was always a fan of Archie Comic Digest and would force friends to "act out" the story lines. Like many people, I loved Betty and Veronica and would stare at their stylish, tight outfits and fascinating shoes. I admit, I also had a crush on Jughead.

I'm not sure how many of you are comic book fans but comics certainly had an influence on people I know. Lots of the guys I went to art school with learned to draw from super hero comics.

I learned to draw from copying Alphonse Mucha and other Art Nouveau prints - that's why I draw with far too many superfluous lines.


Comic books have gone through a number of rebirths - R. Crumb, Aline Kominsky Crumb, Harvey Pekar, the "Raw" anthologies, Art Spiegelman's Maus, Fantagraphics Publishing House, Gary Panter, "Weirdo" comics, "Love & Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez, Chris Ware etc, etc.

I got back into comics when Drawn & Quarterly started publishing. My favorites were the autobiographical comics. I've included links to each artist - just click on their names. Maurice Vellekoop, Joe Matt, Chester Brown, Archer Prewitt, Dan Clowes (of "Ghost World" fame) and Julie Doucet to name a few.

Brad and I were lucky enough to pick up this limited edition print by Julie Doucet. An additional signature on the print is her actual thumbprint (located under "Julie's Seal of Approval")! Unfortunately the thumbprint on our copy has faded to near invisibility.



And speaking of comic style artwork I own - I AM A TOTAL IDIOT. This first edition Nine Inch Nails poster I have by Frank Kozik was recently going for $2,000 on Ebay. I think I bought it for no more than $30. I stuck thumb tacks in it to hang it up!!!!! Argh! Talk about wanting to kick yourself. The current edition is selling for $650.


When Kozik first started selling his silk screen posters they were ridiculously cheap ($15 to $35). I collected as many as I could and bought a bunch to give away at Christmas. You can go to Frank Kozik's Website - where you can see many of the truly fantastic rock posters he's designed. Here are a few I wish I had purchased. I love the one that says "Bring Me The Head of Jerry Garcia". (Obviously I'm not a Grateful Dead fan).


Oops! Back to comic books! One of the all-time funniest comic book series for those of us from the "Slacker" generation is Peter Bagge's "Hate" collection. The artwork is a bit primitive but the story lines are brilliant and encapsulate so much of slogging your way through your 20's and 30's. Peter Bagge is always worth keeping tabs on.



Well, as usual I've gotten off topic. Around and around I go in nonsensical, circuitous circles. So, I'll end this back on track with another bizarre comic book cover from Superdickery!

No comments: