Saturday, June 23, 2007

FAKE CAKES

I heard a funny story last night while listening to Marketplace on National Public Radio. It was about two women who have a business making "fake cakes" (you'll see their cakes pictured above). They create ornate wedding cakes made of styrofoam and icing that help couple's save money on wedding costs. (Luckily guests still get a piece of sheet cake so nobody goes hungry). To hear the story about Susan Lobsinger and Wendy Hunters business hit this link at Marketplace or check out their cake website Rent the Cake of Your Dreams.

I've been intrigued by fake cakes ever since I saw Amy Sedaris' recipe for them in her book "I Like You - Hospitality Under the Influence". Here's Amy, who quite magically, remains cute and sexy while being both gross and funny.


I assume Amy's whipped cream photos are a tribute to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass' stupendously classic album "Whipped Cream and Other Delights".

"Whipped Cream . . ." was my VERY FIRST favorite album (before I discovered Rock and Roll). I juggled my mother's wigs to the sound of Mr. Alpert and his snazzy, jazzy brass section. His songs are permanently burned into my neurons. My first Rock and Roll album purchase was The Beach Boys (I was hooked by "Good Vibrations").

Anyway, back to Fake Cakes - Amy also makes her cake base from styrofoam but she uses spackle, plaster of Paris and latex paint to create the icing. I just LOVE Amy's book - it's hilarious, practical and full of fabulously strange pictures. Here are a few examples of her cakes which are on sale at fredflare.com.

I would love to make a whole bunch of fake cakes to sell or give away as Christmas presents. You could make super-snazzy 3 tiered cakes, put them on ornate cake stands and decorate them with beads, sparkles and other craft store items. Fake food is something that stirs great passion in my soul.

No comments: