Sunday, April 1, 2007

Rotating Holiday Rollie Cart

It's true. In my old age I've been reduced to the thrill of doing "Holiday Arrangements" on my Kitchen Rollie Cart. I HATED holidays until this creeping sentimentality took over my life. It occurred to me that I could take advantage of my love of Dollar Store plastic doo-dads and Ye Olde Junk Shoppe knickknacks (aka: bibelots - what a great word eh?) and everything vulgar and garish that is overflowing into our barn. The best crap in my collection are the giant, light-up plastic ornaments for Christmas and Halloween. I put them around the house as "accent" pieces. I realize that Kitsch Decor is totally "out" among hipsters (was it even "in" 20 years ago?) and they're on to Danish Modern or Scandanavian Gothic or whatever the fuck. All I can say is look, I live in this place - I want it to be bright and colorful and happy. Dare I say comfortable and homey too? Yes I'm defensive, I haven't been exposed to much culture since I moved here 14 years ago. I'm taking a stance of embracing my screaming, showy, overwrought aesthetic in a desperate attempt to justify my existence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT, LISA! Your fashion "rag" is great!