Monday, December 27, 2010

Text Edit Experiment - + Taxidermy & High Art vs. Low

Experimental Post Alert: I'm struggling with which Mac program to write my blog drafts in. (Yes, I could just write it at blogspot but I'm a little rusty right now). Writing the text in my email program has been creating flukey conflicts in the blogspot.com program. Importing photos is screwing with the font size and the html links I'm writing seem to be confusing things further. Right now I'm attempting to use the Text Edit Application to see if it's less apt to cause computer glitches.

I'll use this opportunity to post an image of my Christmas present from last year - "The Swamp Monster". Brad (truck driver and hubby) found this most unusual gift at an Army Surplus store. He's an expert at picking out the perfect present for me. I got AN ACTUAL DRUM SET the year before I was bequeathed this taxidermy token of love. (Now I just have to keep practicing my herky-jerky rhythms on the rackin' frackin' thing). The Swamp Monster is actually a deer's ass with lifelike prosthetics added. I'll attempt to include the Swamp Monster picture as part of this experiment.


In terms of using some html to embed a link - I'll use the official website of Polly Morgan (the lofty and highfalutin, British Taxidermy Artist). This will also serve as another experiment - contrasting 'High Art & "Low Art' via taxidermy.

Here's an example of Polly Morgan's work:


Her tableaux are beautiful. It's just the hype accompanying stratospheric art-world status that can interfere with unencumbered appreciation. In terms of the debate over high & low art Brad just remarked that low art is less pretentious, therefore more honest. He's never been a big fan of conceptual art. I haven't either. We both suffered through art school at a time when the merits of your work were sometimes judged more by how versed you were in 'artspeak'. Figurative art was out and installation art was in. It could be extremely frustrating listening to students yammer on about pieces that couldn't stand on their own without an accompanying convoluted analysis. I'm still kind of pissed off about that.

No comments: