Friday, December 24, 2010

Remy Norton's Blog (and Happy Holidays TOO)!

At the moment there is only one blog I frequent regularly. It's called Remy Norton. Click on Remy Norton and you TOO can follow it - It's a solid recommendation from me to you! Her blog circles around in engaging configurations. Some recent posts include her thoughts on what it means to be a writer, mini book reviews, some hilarious experiences working in retail sales, 'Magical Thinking', book hoarding, Tarot cards, the vagaries of time, fashion philosophy and obscure words and their meaning. It's difficult to sum it up since her blog takes so many thought provoking turns. Norton makes unique connections between 'mundane' topics and their deeper meaning. She's not afraid to put her opinion out there- something I admire. I don't think I've ever left so many comments (or such long-winded ones) on anyone's blog. Her posts always trigger my interest or leave me scratching my head in a good way. I think that's because I'm trying to keep up with her intellectually but am often left in the dust. It's overall a serious blog with definite laugh out loud moments. Norton has a knack for identifying the core absurdities of certain truths.

Just as an aside, Remy's book hoarding posts have special meaning AND fabulous ramifications for me since I became the recipient of an armful of outstanding books! She very kindly donated a selection of Taschen's "Icon" series (vintage imagery of Valentine's Day, Halloween plus 50's and 60's Advertising) and a beautiful compendium of 1960's gift wrap design called "All Wrapped Up". (That's an example of some of the Christmas gift wrap next to the picture of Remy at the top of the post). She also bequeathed me Edward Gorey's book "Amphigorey". I think she was a little dismayed that there was such a gaping hole in my knowledge base, as I was quite unfamiliar with Mr. Gorey and his singular qualities and vast influence. What can I say? I'm embarrassed about that. (Although sometimes being so ignorant gives me the opportunity to happily explore a new avenue of interest).

Norton is a serious writer with one mystery novel already published. It's titled "Gossip Kills" (look for it on Amazon)! "Gossip Kills" is an engaging, crisp and pithy mystery that reminded me of sunny days reading my Mom's Agatha Christie novels. It's solid, straightforward and filled with amusing, quirky characters. It's obvious that Remy Norton has a fervent passion for writing and keenly ruminating on all manner of things. To sum up, her blog is one of my regular stops in cyberspace and I highly recommend it!

No comments: