Saturday, June 16, 2007

Multi Media Mogul Paul

I just got an email from my pal Paul about his television debut on "Pet Central". The "Pet Central" program runs on the Canadian cable channel "Pet Network" which is devoted to 24 hours of pet related programming. 24 HOURS OF PET PROGRAMMING! I'm just repeating that to REALLY let it sink into my brain (and maybe your's for that matter). It's another mind boggling example of living in the modern media age. Here is my TV Star friend Paul pictured above with his very cute and well behaved dog Noah. You can see Noah's super cool portrait in the background too.
I've included the links to Paul's video. It's really fun! It features lots of Paul's paintings and highlights both his process and inspiration. There's also a "blooper reel" ending that's great - it made me laugh just hearing Paul laugh. I miss you Paul! Gotta call you soon for the rock swap talk. Go to Paul's Website or direct to youtube. The only misinformation in the video is Gesso's gender - she's actually a female and not a "he" but Paul hasn't met her yet so I'm not holding that against him.
A posting on Paul just wouldn't seem right without an incriminating polaroid. I've included this one from 1995. Paul and I seem to be a Viking Couple in the middle of a fist fight. I'm not really sure what we we're doing. I do know Paul ended up wearing my wig at some point that night.


In the "Pet central" video Paul very kindly mentions my dog Gesso and that the background colors in her portrait were meant to reflect the atmosphere of our house. He also talks about us rescuing her from a shelter after the death of our Lab. The Lab he mentions is my first dog Junior. I've posted about Junior before - so you know I have absolutely no objectivity about him. Junior was just the bestest of the best. I've heard lots of complaints that blogs and websites end up being all about people's pets. It's true! We're more insufferable than new parents! Just to prove the point here's a picture of Junior and Paul:

And since I'm taking this opportunity YET AGAIN to talk about Junior I'll post ANOTHER picture. Junior had a big patch of white fur on his chest. Whenever I dyed my hair with Manic Panic I dyed his hair too (as you can see below). My friend David (an actor and improvisational scat singer) made up a song called "Junior - The Punk Rock Dog from Bayview Street". David created a whole imaginary TV show about Junior's punk rock antics. I guess we all had too much time on our hands back then.


More importantly though - back to the matter at hand. I'm really impressed that Paul has been doing this work for 16 YEARS and doing it so well! Way to go Paul!!! You have worked SO hard and your art has developed in amazing new directions. After watching Paul's video and a documentary on The Sex Pistols AND The Pixies this week I am forever in awe of people who have a totally unique aesthetic and have the drive and the guts to get it out there. That kind of creativity inspires me and keeps life so interesting. I'm really proud of you Paul.

No comments: